Thursday, September 27, 2012

36 weeks Pregnant & The Birth of Weston and Wyatt

36 weeks Pregnant & The Birth of Weston and Wyatt.

This picture was taken Sunday the night before the babies were born.

 Sunday September 9th 2012:

Well I’m writing this while still pregnant. I thought it would be nice to have one last journal entry before I had the babies. So it’s Sunday at 10pm, I’m hoping that I will be able to go to sleep soon. I surprisingly feel really relaxed and mello. Billy seems a bit nervous and went to bed at 9:30pm to see if he could fall asleep. We have to be up at 4am-ish and ready to go by 5:10am. OKAY that just gave me butterflies eepp!!! I decided this morning that I would sleep in one last time and slept till 11am, which I realize might not have been the best idea. Ha!

So all I did today was research overnight bag checklists online and triple check my hospital bag since I will be there for 4 days. I did manage to hit up Yogurtland with my girlfriend Kelly one last time.  Buddy has such a doggy 6th sense and totally is a bit freaked and knows something is up. The poor little guy, I’m sad to leave him for so long but hopefully he will be okay with some doggy play dates we set up for him.

Today I came to the realization that even after insurance this labor is going to cost us a fortune. I got super mad at myself that I just realized this now and have not saved any money to help pay for the upcoming hospital bills. I have great insurance but heard that it’s like 2K to have a baby at Kaiser and I freaking go to Good Sam which is WAY more expensive. Plus I have to stay extra days because it’s a C-Section. I’m Flippin so scared to see how much this is going to cost us. F-word!  Right now with disability pay I’m getting $800 less a month. On top of that my insurance is going from $164 a month to $725 a month just to add the babies. I hate the freaking health care system. It’s so ridiculous.

Today my legs got super swollen and one ankle swoll up. It’s such a weird feeling. My stomach is getting so huge and grew 1 inch this week. Also my stomach is getting sooooo heavy it’s crazy! I still can’t see any stretch marks but I will see tomorrow once my stomach starts deflating to see what kind of damage was done. Hehe.

So tonight the anesthesiologist called me and introduced himself and went over everything with me as far as what tomorrow is going to be like.  He asked if I had any questions and I said no you pretty much told me everything I see on those baby shows and confirmed everything I was expecting.  So yea! I saw my Mom tonight and called my Dad and am all set for tomorrow. I can’t wait. I’m super sad that this is the last day I will be pregnant cause I really love being pregnant but it’s gotten to a point where I’m so huge I’m about ready, my stomach can’t stretch any farther.

So I’m going to try and go to bed its 11pm and I’m hoping to at least be asleep by 12am and get a good 4 hours of sleep in.  Goodnight!

Monday September 10th the BIG DAY!!!!!

Billy and I both managed to get about 3 hours of sleep. We got to the Hospital at 5:30am on the dot! We checked in and they got me all dressed in my grown. I was sooooo nervous that my stomach started cramping up. I think my nerves were affecting the babies. So I get my IV’s put in and Billy got dressed in his scrubs and we were all set.  At 7:45am the nurses come and grab me and we walk down in to the operating room. Which looked a lot different then I expected it to. Billy had to stay in the room while I got my epidural. The guy missed the first time so it took 2 tries to get it right. Once the Epidural was in almost instantly my lower half was numbed up. So they began prepping me and I got the sensation that my doctor warned me about. I felt like I couldn't breathe. It’s such a horrible feeling. I kept thinking mind over matter over and over. A nurse they rubbed my belly a few times and I felt as if I could breathe again. Fewwwwwwww THANK GOD.

Soooooo scared, waiting for the nurse to walk me down to the OR

Billy in his scrubs <3

I love this picture of Billy. It sums up how tired we both were and nervous.

Billy and I excited, scared and nervous getting ready to head to the OR

At this point they brought Billy in. I had free access of both hands and so I held Billy’s hand and at 8am we got started and the cutting began. I was so scared like OMFG this is happening I can’t believe it. All these people are here for me. There were probably about 10-12 surgeons and nurses in the room.  While I was lying down I looked up at the lights shining down on me and what I saw I couldn't believe.  I could  actually see in the reflection of the lights the entire surgery as it was happening. I thought it was soooooo cool. So I watched most of the surgery but got freaked out and had to look away right as the babies got pulled out. So at this point the doctor says okay it’s time lower that curtain.(in my last blog I wrote about my birth plan and that I wanted to see my babies as they got pulled out)

 Meet Weston Glen Young

At 8:07am Baby A aka Baby Weston Glen Young was born. He weighed in at 5 pounds 5 ounces and was 17.5 inches long. He cried instantly and the sound of his cry brought a tear to my eye. It was so surreal. They then lifted the baby up and showed him to us and I must say it was pretty indescribable the feelings and emotions that I had at the first site of our little boy. He was so cute and tiny I was just in shock.  I couldn't believe that within minutes he was in my stomach and now he was out. I began to cry and then remembered OMG I have more babies in my belly and started smiling and giggling to myself.

This was right after they pulled Weston out, I was so excited to see Wyatt I couldn't stop smiling. 

The light you see in this picture is where I could see the surgery in the reflection 

Meet Wyatt Thomas Young

At 8:09am Baby B was born aka Baby Wyatt Thomas Young. He weighed in at 5 pounds 6 ounces and was 18 inches long. Just like his brother he cried instantly. I was so happy to hear his little cry. They then held him up to show him to me and he was bigger than his brother.  I was soooo happy both babies were out and appeared to be okay. I had a huge smile on my face and was overwhelmed with happiness.

I know most of you aren't expecting to see this, but here is the video of the birth of our Twins Weston and Wyatt J

After she showed us the babies she handed them off to the nurses who took them out of the OR and in to a baby station area they had set up in the next room they came over and grabbed Billy and took him to go with the babies. I then hung out and got stitched back up and was like OMG I can’t wait to hold them and see their faces up close. Two nurses then ran in and they each had a baby and were so giddy and happy they said “OMG you have twins! They are prefect and everything looks good.  We are going to take them to recovery with Dad (Billy) to meet you.”  I then look over and there are about 5 nurses who put Billy in a wheel chair and then hand the babies over to him, one in each arm. I then watched them wheel him off to recovery.  It was such a funny, happy site. Everyone was so happy for us. It was such a great feeling.

Both babies looked great and did not have Jaundice, Woo Hoo! 

At 9am I’m all stitched up and they wheel me over to the recovery room. I arrive to see Billy holding one of our babies. I was soooo excited to get my hands on them.  First things first they gave me pain medication because the epidural was wearing off and the pain was setting in. They then placed the baby on my bare chest with his little naked body because his temperature was low and we needed to bring it up. Luckily the other baby was fine (the baby Billy was holding) I looked down at my little boy and was just in shock I couldn't believe he was mine.

Right away they had me try and breast feed the boys. Unfortunately because they are preemie and a month early they were not strong enough to latch and suck to get milk. So we then gave them formula. They both had low blood sugar and we needed to bring their blood sugar level up from where they were at in the 40’s to the 50’s in order for them to not have to be taken to the NICU. It took us a good hour or so to get their levels up but lucky for us we were able to.

They then put a baby in each arm and wheeled me over to the Mother Baby Unit where our hospital room was, we would be spending the next 4 days there. Over our stay we found that 2 babies was no joke!  Hahaha… Hospitals don’t have nurseries anymore so the babies stay with you in your room the whole time. Which I didn't mind and wanted anyway. Since they are preemies and so small they wanted us to feed them every 3 hours.  It was such a process because they wanted me to try and breastfeed first, if that didn't work then we had to formula feed them and then I would need to pump each time afterward and whatever colostrum I could get out we had to put in syringes and feed it to the babies that way. This took probably an hour and a half each feeding.  Not to mention the babies were so tired that we had to constantly try and keep them awake, this slowed down the process even more. So our game plan was to change their diapers first to wake them up, then feed them and try to keep them awake.  With nurses coming in and family and friends it did make things a lot harder, in that we never had any down time or had any time to rest.

Billy stayed with me the whole time. I felt so bad for him because he had to sleep on this tiny chair bed. We decided to really push for leaving on Thursday (they wanted us to stay till Friday). Each night they gave us the option to take the babies for the night so that we could rest. We took full advantage of this. They would take the babies at 11:30pm-12am and bring them back at 6:30am. While they had the babies over night they would feed them check their blood sugar levels, weigh them. They did the car seat test at night also. It was really nice getting rest. Even though I was getting woken up every 2 hours by nurses who were either checking my vitals, giving me pain meds, refilling my IV, or the IV alarm would go off if it was empty or if the line got pinched. It was very tiring.

These are the boys returning from the over night nursery. They would always sleep together, The nurses said they loved it and slept better together then when they had them sleeping apart. They also wrote a B on Wyatt's beanie so they could tell them apart :)

Thursday we got to leave Yay!

 We got discharged at 11:30am. We packed up the room and they told us we could take everything but the linens.  So we stalked up on Preemie Diapers, Breast pump bottles and accessories, Gauze, Vaseline and much more.  As they wheel chaired me out Billy carried both boys in their car seats. We found that people LOVE TWINS!!! We got stopped probably 3 times just trying to get to the front door. Billy put the babies down next to me while he went to get the car. Since we were at the front entrance of the hospital everyone coming and going stopped to take a look at the babies. At one point a small crowd began to gather around them. I thought Damn these kids are more popular than me and they've only been alive for 4 days, AWESOME!!!

Here are some photo's of our room :)

The white chair with the pillows on it is Billy's fold out bed. :(  Poor Guy!

These were the babies beds. The picture below is of them Hanging out together. 

It was the craziest feeling bringing the babies home and having them in the house.  We were all prepared for their arrival physically but nothing can prepare you mentally. I just starred at them for a long time and took it all in. They still didn't feel like they were ours, it was so surreal.  I thought to myself, Wow my house is now a home.  I have my Husband, my dog and now my beautiful babies J

The babies lost weight after they were born. This is totally normal, in the womb since babies have an umbilical cord they are constantly getting nutrition 24/7 and are gaining weight. Once born the cord is cut and it’s up to you to feed them and keep that weight up. Most babies lose 10% of their body weight at birth. Below is a list of how their weights have fluctuated so far. J

Weston Weight
Baby A
9/10: 5.5.
9/12: 4.12
9/13: 4.11
9/15: 4.14
9/20: 4.12
9/25: 5.0

Wyatt's Weight
Baby B
9/10: 5.6
9/12: 4.15
9/13: 4.14
9/15: 4.10
9/20: 5.1
9/25: 5.6

Well I will write more hopefully sooner than later. For now I will give you just the birth story J Thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment