Sunday, June 10, 2012

23 Weeks & Our 1st High Risk Pregnancy Appointment

23 Weeks!!! 
My babies are moving like crazy. Right now one is head up and one is head down. So I'm getting kicked from all angles. I went from never feeling them move to strong rapid movements all the time. Very cool!  It's crazy how much can change in a week. It all started last Friday. 

Things are beginning to get really uncomfortable. Sleeping is hard, walking has gotten harder when walking the trail, my feet constantly hurt. 3 nights this week I've woken up out of a dead sleep in a ton of pain. This is only the beginning. Today I woke up with chest pain, an throbbing boob, a jacked arm and an achy side (all on the same side). I looked at my stomach to find a bunch of popped blood vessels. I thought WTF happened while I was sleeping. I really need to invest in an awesome sleeping pillow. 





As some of you know on Wednesday we had our 1st appointment with the Obstetrix high risk pregnancy facility. We learned that the babies are Monochorionic-Diamniotic twins, they share a sac that is separated by a membrane, this is great because their cords can not get tangled. They also share a placenta, which comes with risks of twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome and heart problems. Because of these risks we will need to have ultrasounds every two weeks. 

So Wednesday they did full measurements of the babies, 40 min scans per baby. Although it was really cool seeing all there organs and such it was really uncomfortable. After their 40 minute ultrasounds a piece, a doctor looked over the pictures and they came in and gave us the results. 

Both babies look great. There are no signs of twin-to-twin transfusion, (the risk of  twin-to-twin transfusion is 15%) so I think we are in the clear. They did find that Baby A has a enlarged kidney, so we are going to keep an eye on it. Other then that they look great. They are both 1 lb 2 oz. which is pretty impressive considering they are sharing a placenta. 

Our next appointment is going to be another long one. They are going to do a full heart inspection on each twin to make sure they have healthy hearts because that is another risk of  Monochorionic-Diamniotic twins. We also got the visual confirmation that they are definitely boys. :)  

So while looking at one baby he started to smile, I freakin melted and shouted at the ultrasound tech to take a picture. And this is what we have below :)


The ultrasounds they use are so high tech and awesome. They zoom in and out and are way better then the one at my doctors office. They also have a big flat screen on the wall so that we could see what was going on while the ultrasound tech did his work.Very cool. Kevin the ultrasound teach at the other office  always yells at me for trying to watch what he's doing while he's working. So I was very excited to have a big screen of my own :)

Below is a picture of a babies spine. Lookin Good!!! Nice and straight :)
The picture below is a shot from behind: Spine and head. Such a crazy looking picture.

Woo Hoo! I'm so grateful the babies are doing well. Today I began planning the baby shower. It brings back memories of planning my wedding :) I'm super excited! My girl friend Kelly and I headed to Target this afternoon and started on the baby registry and Billy picked out and ordered the invites. All this baby stuff just melts my heart :) 

Time for bed, Thanks for reading :)

2 comments:

  1. Gina,

    Thanks for setting up this blog and sharing all of the information (from medical to emotional) with us. Very cool & exciting info in this latest post! I hope that you will be able to keep a permanent record of your journey on your blog & be able to share it with the boys someday when they are old enough to care!
    Your adoring father-in-law....Glen

    ReplyDelete